CAUTION: This is NOT a healthy cake! If you’re looking for some indulgence. If the last time you had cake was 2 months ago. If you don’t mind going on the tread mill for another hour, this cake is for you.
Yes, you’ve seen them floating around the internet for the past few years. Most call them ‘Mug Cakes’. Well, I one cold winter’s night, when my entire family is making a symphonic synchronized snoring, I sneaked into the kitchen to make one of these babies. There’s no way I can make this while my toddler is awake. He’ll (1) want to ‘help’ and (2) want to ‘taste’ followed closely with (3) a big grin and disarming smile “Can I have some more?”
Well he knows a good cake when he tastes one! This little cake never disappoints. And because it is just ONE CAKE, I don’t have to feel bad that I have a whole big cake to eat.
This cake is moist, chocolatey, rich, decadent chocolately gooooood. Did I mention it is chocolatey?
Not bad for a few minutes of stirring and microwaving!
I experimented more with tweaks to try to make it a lower fat version. To my dismay, less oil also meant dryer cakes. So here it is, indulgent as it is, with no excuses, no declarations, the full fat version.
4 Tablespoons plain all purpose flour
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Hershey’s cocoa powder, natural unsweetened
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons butter
1 big coffee Mug
- Mix all dry ingredients together in the large enough mixing bowl.
- Mix in all the rest of the wet ingredients, making sure to dig deep around to the bottom. Make sure everything is mixed well. Pour into 2 separate coffee mugs. It should only fill half the mug.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes, pause and let it settle for a few seconds and microwave another 1-2minutes. Because microwaves differ very much, I would recommend you try to microwave on these short spurts. It might look a little scary as you see the mixture rise to double its height.
- To test, shake the mug sideways, if it no longer jiggles, you’re good to go!
- I normally turn it over onto a dessert plate and enjoy seeing the ooey gooey chocolate drip over the sides.
tip: I used Hershey’s because it gives a richer chocolatey flavour. But use whatever you have.