Got a family to feed? Last minute guests and only a small tray of mince beef? This is not only heart healthy, it is quick, delish and thanks to the oats, you’ve got extra fibre and tummy filling low-fat goodness!
Prep + Cook time: 30mins
1 whole garlic minced (about 8 cloves)
2 Tablespoons Ketchup for the meatloaf
3 Tablespoons Ketchup for glazing – optional
2 Tablespoons Soya Sauce
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
1 teaspoon milk powder
1 cup rolled oats, quick cook
1/3 cup water, to soak the oats in
1 large egg, beaten
600 grams Beef mince
400 grams Mixed veges
- Soak the oats while you prep the other ingredients.
- Mix all the ingredients and add oats as a final ingredient and knead well together.
- Mold into a meat loaf shape in microwavable casserole dish. Alternatively you could flatten it into whatever shape you like.
- Microwave on medium heat for 5 mins, then on high for another 5mins. At the final 2 minutes spread the 3 Tablespoons of Ketchup evenly over the top and sides of the meatloaf as a glaze. (this glaze can be skipped if desired)
- Meat loaf comes out moist and soft. (possible to reduce water and oats to make it more dense).
Because this is a main dish, I very often pair it with a side dish to complement:
- Coleslaw/fresh salad
- Baked potatoes
- Rice (Yes, rice, this is what you do when you have a very hungry family and leftover rice in the fridge)
Tip: If you want to taste test, simply take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and microwave it in a bowl for a few minutes until cooked and adjust to taste.